|Miriam College Seal|
The story of Miriam College dates back to 1926 when the Archbishop of Manila, requested the Sisters of the Maryknoll Congregation in New York to initiate a teacher-training program for women in the Philippines. In an old remodeled Augustinian Convent in Malabon, Rizal, the Malabon Normal School was established. The school transferred sites several times until finally in 1952, with its name officially changed to Maryknoll College, it laid down its permanent roots in Diliman (or Loyola Heights), Quezon City.
A long period of stability and growth followed. Maryknoll College expanded its programs from training teachers to the formation of women leaders, thus a liberal arts college was developed. The school grew in student population, in programs, services and reputation, justifiably achieving recognition as a school where academic excellence, communication skills, competence, individuality and social responsibility were developed in its students.
Its graduates have distinguished themselves in various professions. Several have been cabinet secretaries, legislators, accomplished businesswomen, entrepreneurs, educators and leaders of government and non-governmental organizations. To date, nineteen alumnae have been selected as “The Outstanding Women in the Nation’s Service” (TOWNS) awardees.
After Vatican II, the Maryknoll congregation began to evaluate its work, not only in the Philippines but worldwide, in the light of their original apostolate as a missionary order. In the 60s, the Maryknoll congregation saw the readiness of the Filipino laity to continue the educational mission they had started. In 1977, the ownership and management of the school was turned over to lay administrators. In accordance with the agreement, the name Maryknoll was to be changed to pave the way for the promotion of the school’s unique identity, distinct although not disconnected from the identity of the Maryknoll sisters. In 1989, after a series of consultations, Maryknoll College was re-named Miriam College.
To meet the challenges of the times, Miriam College has expanded its course offerings and set up four major centers for curriculum development, research and community outreach – the Environmental Studies Institute, the Center for Peace Education, the Institutional Network for Social Action and the Women and Gender Institute.
Source: Miriam College Website