The Technological University of the Philippines (TUP) is the flagship of technology education in the Philippines. Since the establishment of the TUP from a trade school in 1901 to a state university in 1978, it has exercised its tremendous influence in industrial arts, post secondary, vocational-industrial education and in technical and engineering education. It has helped in the professional growth and development of teachers, supervisors and administrators in various educational institutions. Likewise, it has greatly contributed to the supply of skilled manpower requirements in the labor market and industries. At the same time, it has gradually provided the dynamic leadership in conducting applied research and developmental studies for the advancement and transfer of technology, especially in the countryside.
The Technological University of the Philippines was established upon the enactment of Organic Act No. 74 by the Philippine Commission in 1901. TUP was known then as the Manila Trade School (MTS) with the primary intention of developing the dignity of labor. In 1910, MTS was renamed as the Philippine School of Arts and Trades (PSAT). Pursuant to Republic Act 2237 issued on July 17, 1959, PSAT was given the college status and was renamed the Philippine College of Arts and Trades (PCAT). From 1959 to 1978, PCAT pioneered programs in engineering technology and industrial teacher education. By virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1518 issued on July 11, 1978, PCAT was converted into the Technological University of the Philippines.
Presently, TUP is a system comprising of four campuses. The main campus of the University is located in Manila. The three satellite campuses are in Taguig, Cavite, and Visayas. In addition to the four campuses, TUP maintains the Integrated Research and Training Center (IRTC) located in the main campus. The Center was established by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) through a Technical Cooperation in 1982.