The NORSU System
|NORSU University Seal|
The Negros Oriental Provincial School
The original matrix from which what is now Negros Oriental State University (NORSU) grew was the " Provincial High School " of Negros Oriental, the precursor of what is now the Negros Oriental High School . This secondary institution, which in the early years was simply referred to as the " Provincial School ," opened in Dumaguete on September 1, 1902, with Miss Rebecca E. Berry as teach-in-charge. It started with an enrollment of some 40 pupils, mostly from Dumaguete, and the rest from the various towns. Its opening was steeped in controversy, Mr. George V. Beattie, the supervisor for Negros Oriental of the Bureau of Public Instruction, did not think that a secondary school was needed in the province.
The " Provincial School " arose at a time when the principal stress in the program of public instruction of the American Civil Government in the Philippines was simply the introduction of the most basic academic program at the elementary and secondary levels. The Negros Oriental " Provincial School " was one of the 23 high schools in the country at that time. There were sixteen high schools in Luzon, six in the Visayas, and One in Mindanao . The largest was the Iloilo Provincial High School , with nine teachers and 288 students.
The Negros Oriental Trade School (NOTS)
Negros Oriental Trade School, as it was then called was ordered created December 3, 1927 by virtue of Act No. 3377 of the Philippines Legislature. Thus it gained autonomous existence from the Negros Oriental High School , though the Trade School students continued to take their academic courses from the latter for three more decades. The Negros Oriental Trade School opened in July, 1928 with a first year class of 25 students. The first principal was Mr. Flaviano Santos.
The Creation of East Visayan School of Arts and Trades (EVSAT)
By virtue of Republic Act No. 1579 signed into law on June 16, 1956, the Negros Oriental Trade School became the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades (EVSAT). Under this new status, EVSAT was headed by a "Superintendent," with a "Principal" assisting him in administering the academic program of the school. The responsibility for the financial support of the school also shifted from the shoulders of the province of Negros Oriental to the national government. These changes first took effect beginning June 1957.
The Central Visayas Polytechnic College (CVPC)
By virtue of Batas Pambansa No. 401 passed on April 14, 1983 and signed into law by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on June 10, 1983, the Central Visayas Polytechnic College (CVPC) came into being. The State College was the result of the merger of three government institutions in Negros Oriental, namely, the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades in Dumaguete City , the Bais School of Fisheries some 45 kilometers away in Okiot Bais City ; and the Guihulngan Vocational School some 117 kilometers away in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental. The Secondary School at Bong-ao , Valencia subsequently became an extension campus of CVPC.
The Negros Oriental State University (NORSU)
Through Republic Act No. 9299 signed by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on June 25, 2004 converted Central Visayas Polytechnic College (CVPC) into a state university to be known as the Negros Oriental State University (NORSU), integrating therewith the Genaro Goñi Memorial College in the City of Bais, the Siaton Community College in the Municipality of Siaton, and the Mabinay Institute of Technology in the Municipality of Mabinay.
Source: The University Student Handbook and Negros Oriental State University Homepage